Maternity Discrimination

Moderators: JimBoice, MaryF., dianeb, Jennifer M.

Maternity Discrimination

Postby sozgar » July 7th, 2015, 5:35 pm

Does anyone have any information to share about pregnancy discrimination and teacher's salary? Our Super is trying to pass a policy denying 5 teachers their raise in September because they were out more than 90 days for maternity leave during the school year. They used a combination of sick leave and FMLA and recently received a letter that they won't get their step increase. Nothing was stated prior to the letter and each had a meeting with the Super when they declared their leave. NJ Law Against Discrimination says that if other leaves mentioned in a negotiated contract get their steps (benefits, wage increases), then you can't single out pregnant women not to get their step (benefits, wage increases). Our contract states military leave and sabbatical leave still get their steps. Looking for some clarification and any resources that would help.
sozgar

Re: Maternity Discrimination

Postby JimBoice » July 13th, 2015, 8:04 pm

HI Sozgar. I saw your post a couple of days ago but wanted to see if any members would chime in before I responded. . .

This is an instance where the affected members should work with their local president and call the UniServ field rep immediately to get some direction.

Your local president will know who your UniServ field rep is. The field reps are listed here: http://www.njea.org/about/who-we-are/regional-offices.

Jim
Jim Boice
Field Representative ~ Membership & Organizational Development
New Jersey Education Association

facebook.com/NJEAPRIDE
earlycareernjea.blogspot.com
JimBoice

Re: Maternity Discrimination

Postby sozgar » July 14th, 2015, 6:50 am

Thanks for your response. We have contacted NJEA but everyone seems to be on vacation and information is slow to return. I was just wondering if anyone had any similar cases that they could share some information.
sozgar

Return to Higher Education