Invite the Cat in the Hat to your school
The Cat in the Hat comes back…and he’s just in time to help your school celebrate NEA’s Read Across America! NJEA members can now request a visit from the Cat himself right online. The first 50 members who register for a visit will receive an authentic red-striped stovepipe hat. Visits begin in early February and continue through the middle of March; we regret that special date requests cannot be honored. Registrants will be notified in January whether your school was selected from the pool of hundreds of registrants to receive a visit. Don’t delay; the deadline for inviting the Cat is Friday, November 14.
Ready for your 15 minutes of Fame?
How about sending your latest video to SchoolTube? It can be your own music reading video, book trailer, or coverage of a recent event. SchoolTube has created a Read Across America channel just for you. To sign up and share your videos, go to SchoolTube.
Read across America - NJ 2014
Read Across America is an annual celebration of reading that culminated this year on March 3, the day after what would have been the 110th birthday of prolific children’s book author Theodor Seuss Geisel, known and loved worldwide as Dr. Seuss.
Once again NJEA members, parents, and members of the community donned their red and white stovepipe hats and joined the nationwide celebration of reading for Read Across America Day. For the 16th year running, NJEA worked to promote reading and literacy through Read Across America-NJ.
Read what members are saying about their Read Across America celebrations when the Cat in the Hat comes to visit! Learn more
In the News
- Mystery in the schools - Hudson Reporter, March 12, 2014
- Van Holten School in Bridgewater celebrates 'Read Across America'- Messenger-Gazette, March 9, 2014
- A reading on Jersey City history - Hudson Reporter, March 9, 2014
- Francis A. Desmares Elementary celebrate Read Across America Day - Hunterdon County Democrat, March 7, 2014
- Cat in the Hat visits Bayonne schools to promote literacy - nj.com, March 5, 2014
- Dr. Seuss' trickster, the Cat in the Hat, visits third-graders to promote reading - Press of Atlantic City, Feb. 26, 2014
- Ventnor schools gear up for Read Across America Day - Shorenewstoday.com - Feb. 26, 2014
- Editorial: Put on your striped hat and listen to a cat - northjersey.com, Feb. 26, 2014
- League joins NJEA in Read Across America Celebration - NJLM News, Feb. 2014